In a previous post, we discussed an article from Harvard Business Review, which identified four essential elements of a successful social movement. In this post, we will focus on the fourth of these elements as it relates to Johego: connection to the mainstream.
What We Do
Every successful social movement requires a meaningful connection to mainstream values and interests. For a start-up like Johego, social media can provide an efficient method for nurturing and sustaining that connection. To date, Johego has been using social media to provide updates on our progress and to post content that may be of interest to our supporters. Here are some of the content areas we have been focusing on so far:
- Data Science: Data science being used for good, especially as it relates to community development / poverty reduction. [Example]
- Smartphone Apps: Smartphone apps designed for community development / poverty reduction. [Example]
- Innovation: Other innovative products and services for the poor, especially from small- to medium-sized organizations. [Example]
- Policy: Novel policy approaches to community development / poverty reduction. [Example]
- Poverty: The extent of poverty in the U.S. as well as the personal challenges associated with living under poverty. [Example]
- General Interest: Actionable information for supporters about how to improve their lives: productivity, inspiration, etc. [Example]
Why Your Actions Matter
Ultimately, our success depends on your input. Your actions, even if they may seem inconsequential, actually do make a difference. For example, when one person ‘Likes’ a post on our Facebook page, it indicates to us what types of posts some people want to see. In addition, it increases the number of Facebook users that will see that particular post. To that end, the following plot shows how individual ‘Likes’ have increased the number of people that have seen our posts during the last few weeks:
How You Can Help
Here are a few easy things you can do that will increase our outreach and improve the content we send your way:
- If you haven’t started following us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and LinkedIn, please do so.
- If you are already following us, and if you believe in what Johego is trying to accomplish, invite members of your social networks to follow us as well.
- If you like a particular post, then let us know by ‘Liking’, ‘Sharing’, etc. that post.
- If you want to comment on a particular post, publicly or privately, please do so.
- If you would like to see something different that is more relevant to your interests, please do not hesitate to contact us. We really do listen.
That’s it for now. As always, thank you for reading!
Want to support Johego or learn more? Follow us on social media & let us know what you think: